Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Time for a New Adventure

I am joining the ranks of Quality Weenie and Tammi.

The ranks of unemployed.

That's right folks, I no longer have a job.

Tuesday afternoon I was called into the office of my company president along with the other 2 bosses in the office. Long story short, they were of the belief that what they have to offer in the long term would not be a good utilization of my talents and therefore, continuing to employ me would be a disservice.

Basically, I was doing two things. Estimating, which involved doing quantity take-offs (counting how much material needs to be used in a building) on a program run by an old computer with Windows 95 for an O.S. and the actual take-off program still ran in DOS. Freaking DOS!!!!!!!!!

The other thing I worked on was revising the safety program. The final incarnation was not completed prior to my exit.

However, there are some good points to this in the end. They promised they would not challenge me filing for unemployment and would provide a good reference.

Also, since it is still summer, there may be a better possibility of finding a job now than closer to the fall.



So today I filed for unemployment (I was unemployed for three months a little over a year ago and never filed and still haven't gotten out from under the debt of that mistake). And tomorrow I will be updating my resume and posting to career builder and monster. Also, going to start making phone calls and doing lots of internet searches, as well as visiting offices in the surrounding area.

If anybody knows of good job opportunities in either construction (management position) or firearms manufacturing between Peoria and the Quad Cities and Princeton and Monmouth, please let me know.


As for tomorrow. I need out of the house to just relax and refocus. I think I will either go golfing or hit some tennis balls around.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the job hunting.

Ejnoy the time off!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there my brother, you'll find something.
Jim E.

Anonymous said...

Red says:
You are to smart to be out of work for long. You'll be back to flipping burgers before you know it! Just kidding. Anyhow Good Luck on the search.

Wes said...

Good luck on your job search, my friend.

KTreva said...

I'm so sorry Petey! I have no doubt that you will find something good and soon!

Anonymous said...

You can come be a grease monkey with me!LOL! Just kidding (sort of). I don't know if my boss could handle ANOTHER reenactor,LOL. Good luck, let me know if you need ANYTHING. I'll do what I can.
Dragonfly

Contagion said...

What do you think about Oklahoma?

Just kidding.

I hope things work out for you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you lost your job---I know something will turn up.

We have quite a few gun manufacturers here in the QC area, but unfortunately, due to the Democrat's desire to abolish all guns, most have hunkered down and are not expanding.

The one exception is Les Baer who finally got tired of all the anti-gun hysteria in Illinois and moved his operation from Hillsdale, Illinois (just a few miles from me) across the river to the more welcoming LeClaire, Iowa.

Baer is going great guns (hee!hee!) now that he has moved to Iowa, so you might want to check him out---he makes 1911s.

Wes said...

1911's? I'm very interested!