Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Great Music Monday-Momma Look Sharp

Damnit. A day late again. But this one is worth the wait.

While at home feeding Omar tonight, my folks had America's Got Talent on the tv. One performer in his video intro talked about his mother and sang a song about mothers. Which got my brain to wandering (not that I needed anything to help my mind wander, but this particular instance focused the wandering).

As my mind wandered, it traveled back to a rendezvous years ago and a song that a couple old friends used to sing.

The song comes from the musical "1776" and is titled "Momma Look Sharp." An amazing song from the point of view of a Revolutionary War soldier laying on the battlefield, shot and dieing, calling for his mother to come find him. At the end of the song she comes to him.

The lyrics (because they are very powerful):
Courier:
Momma, hey momma, come lookin' for me
I'm here in the meadow by the red maple tree
Momma, hey momma, look sharp, here I be
Hey, hey, momma look sharp

Them soldiers, they fired. Oh ma, did we run
But then we turned round and the battle begun
Then I went under, oh ma, am I done?
Hey, hey, momma look sharp

My eyes are wide open, my face to the sky
Is that you I'm hearin' in the tall grass nearby?
Momma come find me before I do die
Hey, hey, momma look sharp

All:
I'll close your eyes, my Billy
Them eyes that cannot see
And I'll bury you, my Billy
Beneath the maple tree
Courier:
And never again will you whisper to me
Hey, hey, momma look sharp

The video is of a 2008 production of "1776" done at RMU (I don't know where or what this is).

Anywho. Simply an amazing piece.



As always, please leave thoughts or suggestions in the comments.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update.

For some reason the stoopid embed of the video doesn't seem to be working, at least for me so here is a link to the video. Go watch it.

2 comments:

Wes said...

Those kinds of songs always choke me up. Guess that's why I seldom sing 'em, as much as I enjoy 'em.

Good pick. :)

Home on the Range said...

Dang, I have a tear in my eye.. must be those darn onions I was making the pasta sauce with.