Monday, November 10, 2008

Great Music Monday-Theme from Schindler's List

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day. Also known to many, especially those who are more experienced than I, as Armistice Day or to some as Remembrance Day.

The Armistice was signed at the 11th hour, of the 11th Day, or the 11th Month in 1918, thus ending hostilities of World War I.

Tomorrow is the 90th Anniversary of the Armistice. The last I heard, earlier this year, there were only 3 Veterans of WWI still alive in the United States.

My Great-Grandfather served in The War to End All Wars.

My Grandfather and Great Uncle both served in World War II. To read my reflections on their service, I told a short version of their story on the 64th Anniversary of D-Day.

I have many friends and Brothers who served in Korea, Viet Nam, the first Gulf War, and now the War on Terror.

So tomorrow we all take just a couple minutes out of our "busy" lives to say THANK YOU to all who have served in our Armed Forces. Those who have stepped up to the plate, willing to give "That last, full measure of devotion" to their Country.



So with this spirit, I searched for a selection that could capture the importance of tomorrow.

What I found, was a theme song. The "Theme from Schindler's List," composed by John Williams and performed by Itzhak Perlman.

In case you don't know the story of Schindler's List and Oskar Schindler, here is a very short synopsis. Oskar Schindler was a member of the Nazi Party, who saved the lives of over 1,200 Jews from the Concentration Camps by employing them in is two factories.

The theme is incredibly powerful. I found myself choked up at the end.

So, for those who pushed across Europe and the South Pacific, for those who fought in the Trenches of the Great War, for those who fought to halt the spread of Communism in Korea and Viet Nam, for those who fought to free Kuwait, and for those who fought in Granada, for those who fight today in Iraq and Afghanistan, for those who serve in Germany and Korea and Japan, for those Citizen Soldiers, and for those who stepped up to the plate and signed on the dotted line, Thank You from the deepest regions of my heart. You are why this Country is great. And to you, I dedicate this song.







Please leave thought and ideas in the comments.

No comments: