Monday, April 6, 2009

Great Music Monday-Skye Boat Song

Today is Tartan Day.

And what better way to celebrate Tartan Day than with Single Malt Scotch and Great Music.

The Whiskey
Because it is a special day, I pulled out a special bottle. I was working in Macomb, IL for my first job out of college from May 2005 til March 2006. During that time, I visited one of the liquor stores in town (it is a college town, there are several for a town of only 10,000 permanent residents). I don't remember exactly when it was during that time, but know I couldn't have afforded to do what I did. I walked into probably the nicest store in town and began perusing the Single Malt Scotch Whiskey selection. Granted, it was not spectacular, but I did find two bottle of interest. One a bottle of 18-year old Glenlivet, and the other, an 18-year old bottle of Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve. Total tab-about $125. The bottle of Glenlivet was good, but only lasted a few months. The Glenfiddich bottle still lives. I have consumed about half of it so far.

Tonight seemed like the perfect night to partake of the finer things in life so I poured a glass. I prefer to drink Scotch on the rocks, with just a little bit of good clean bottled water. I have found that it just cuts the slight bite of the whiskey, as well as opening up the aromas and flavors.

Now, on to the music. Skye Boat Song is a song recalling the escape of Bonnie Prince Charlie following his defeat at the Battle of Culloden, and the hope that he will return to lead another uprising to fight for independence from England.

They lyrics are amazing.

Speed bonnie boat, like a bird on the wing,
Onward, the sailors cry
Carry the lad that's born to be king
Over the sea to Skye

Loud the winds howl, loud the waves roar,
Thunder clouds rend the air;
Baffled our foe's stand on the shore
Follow they will not dare

Though the waves leap, soft shall ye sleep
Ocean's a royal bed
Rocked in the deep, Flora will keep
Watch by your weary head

Many's the lad fought on that day
Well the claymore could wield
When the night came, silently lay
Dead on Culloden's field

Burned are our homes, exile and death
Scatter the loyal men
Yet, e'er the sword cool in the sheath,
Charlie will come again.

For the performance, we have one of the most amazing Scottish groups I have ever heard, The Corries.

3 comments:

Graumagus said...

I raise a glass of single malt (or, if I can't afford the whiskey, a glass of scottish ale) every April 16th.

Petey said...

I have something special planned for either next week or the week after for the Anniversary of Culloden.

"Biscuit" said...

I love this version... there is also a wonderful version of this song by the Battlefield Band...