Monday, May 11, 2009

Great Music Monday-New Old Songs

For this week's Great Music Monday, I am doing something a little bit different.

Many times I have used videos from Bard of Cornwall, Jesse Ferguson.

Well, he went and released and album, New Old Songs.

So this week, I am going to do a short review.

The album cover is simple but conveys so much. At the top, Jesse's name. Bottom right, the album title. and a white background with a picture of Jesse, in kilt, with his guitar raised to the rock gods. The back cover is an interesting picture of Jesse, again in kilt, in a fine hurdler's form, along with the usual information.

The inside cover has some basic biographical information about Jesse and about the album. The most glaring piece of information that should be taken note of, is that all vocals, instrumentals, recording, mastering, and design was done by Jesse.

Now the music. To start the album Jesse leads in with a fine version of Star of the County Down. The music is a mix guitar, mandolin, and bodhran, coupled with the rich tone of the vocals.

Track 2 is a great piece written by former Silly Wizard frontman, Andy Stewart, Ramblin' Rover. The beat is set with the bodhran and the vocals lead you through this new classic celtic folk song.

Tracks 3 (Jock Stewart), 4 (The Beggarman), and 5 (Balland of St. Anne's Reel) do a great job of showing off the plethora of Ferguson's musical talents. You'll hear guitar, mandolin, bodhran, fiddle, and whistle all wrapping the vocals in a nest of toe-tapping goodness.

Track 6 (Birks of Invermay) is a beautiful melody that slows down the pace set in the previous 3 tracks. The great finger-picked guitar carries you with the one you love through the birks.

Finally, track 7 (Sonny's Dream) shares the story of "Sonny" who works the family plot, and his mother is asking him not to leave, for she is home all along since Sonny's dad is a sailor. But Sonny longs to experience the world away. As Jesse sings, you can feel yourself standing in his shoes, and looking out at the big world and wanting more.

And that is what I am doing. Wanting more. The only complaint I have on this great album, is that it ends after only seven tracks.

Jesse has a great voice, rich and smooth, with an accent that I have never been able to identify, but appreciate how it gives a great celtic feel, while still being very understandable.

All in all, this is a great album that any Celtic music lover would be proud to have in their collection. I highly recommend all of you buy it, HERE.

4 comments:

Mjolnir said...

Just ordered it. I'll let you know what i think when I get it =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the support, Petey. I appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the support, Petey. I appreciate it!

Jesse Ferguson,
Canada

Mjolnir said...

I just got in the mail yesterday and promptly put it in the CD player. It was excellent. I Particularly like the Ballad of St. Anne's Reel. I've always loved that song and I've only heard it on one other CD. I bought ages ago, y'know one of those generic Scottish Folk Music CD's you can get for 5 bucks at the music shop. Turns out it was pretty freakin awesome, but like I said, I've never seen this particular song done by anyone else on a CD, maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

Anyway, thanks for turning me on to mr. ferguson's music. Good stuff!