Sunday, August 24, 2008

Confirmation

Saturday I attended a Family Reunion. It was for Grandpa's family on Mom's side. The reunion was held in Mom's hometown in Iowa. This is actually a reunion I don't mind attending since I actually know some of these people, lots of 2nd and 3rd cousins (unlike the reunion that was for Grandpa's family on dad's side, since Grandpa was an only child, the closest cousins I have there is something like 5th or 6th-I didn't attend this one).

The folks, Grandma, and I headed out Friday night (Grandpa passed away in 2004) around 6:30. It's a 3 hour drive and we made a short stop for a quick bit of supper. We had reservations at a motel and when we got there, they had screwed up the reservations. The rooms were supposed to have queen-sized beds and didn't, they stank, and reminded me of this horrid SLEep eAZY motel I had to stay in while working on a project in Bloomington. At least this motel Saturday didn't have a beer label stuck to the wall in the room (the Bloomington one did). After consultation of those of us in our car plus my Aunt and here Fiance and his son, we decided to go somewhere else. It turned out to be a smart decision.

Saturday morning we had to go pick up some food and then to the Reunion. It was actually fun. My Grandpa was one of 5 kids, and those 5 had 15 kids. Of those 15 cousins, 12 were at the reunion. The three that couldn't make it, 2 are in Tennessee and one is in California. This was the first time this family has gotten together since 2001. Since then, 3 of the 5 original siblings have passed away. The other two seem to be in pretty good health and show no sign of slowing down any time soon. Which is good.

It was also cool that so many of my generation were there, and all but two of us had kids. Actually, I think my Grandma was the last of the 5 original siblings/spouses to become a Great-Grandparent (my nephew CB).

Anyway, we had a few games, including "Name that Tune" and "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" which pitted the Cousins against everyone else. These two games solidified my as a total nerd. I pretty much answered every question for our side in the 5th grader, plus new all the answers for the Cousins, even without out the multiple choice. They ended up giving my the prize for the game. NERD.

Then, in "Name that Tune," I literally moved my chair up to be able to reach the bell without leaving my chair. It got freaking scary how many tunes I knew, including lots that were popular before I was even BORN! TOTAL NERD!!!!!!!

Or as Bill Engvall says, "15 degrees off Cool."



The only thing missing now is the glasses and to be camped out in my parents basement playing dungeons and dragons. It's bad enough my computer is in the basement, just not at my parents.


What a Nerd.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

You didn't need the family reunion to confirm you are a nerd - I could have told you that 26 years ago when you were brought home. Nothing since has changed my mind :)

LOL - glad you had fun.