Sunday, August 3, 2008

A New Project

Sometimes, a mind has a really screwed up way of solving a problem.

Case in point.
A little over a year ago, I decided I was going to start building canoe paddles. So, when I made a visit to a friend in Northern Wisconsin who has been building paddles and working on canoes and boats for 40 years, I got a crash course in building. We started one paddle that day and in the ensuing year, I would build another custom paddles. I have built paddles for lots of friends, custom fit Ark Builder who is 6'10" and sent one paddle to Norway. Some have been custom painted.

But the piece that has haunted me for months, is a the Columbia River Paddle. The blackhearted asshole I call a friend Wil has one that he called a "Lewis and Clark" paddle. So many days on the shaving horse I have tried to figure out how to construct this paddle.

And then last night, I was reading through a book I have on building canoe paddles. The Columbia River paddle is in shown in this book. So, as I passed from wake to sleep, this paddle
was on my mind.

As I began to dream, the construction of this paddle came to thought. And then it hit me like a proverbial brick.

A revelation.

And tomorrow morning, I will test this dream solution to see if it works.

Hopefully, results will be posted in pictures by tomorrow night.

1 comment:

Contagion said...

Okay... it's tomorrow night. Where's the pictures.