Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Heritage Days

A little slow getting this put up, but anyway.

I headed out Thursday morning. Got set up and spent the rest of the day lounging around and catching up with friends.

Friday morning after breakfast at Two Eagles Kitchen, I had to head back home to prepare for the Masonic Lodge Golf Outing that I was part of organizing. Pretty good day. 17 players. My group shot 7 over on 18 holes, which wasn't bad, especially since I didn't remember how to swing until the 14th hole. After dinner, headed back to the rendezvous. Got there about 9:00.

Spent the rest of the night partying. The women were having a bachelorette party and trying to get guys to pole dance for them. (Evidently, I started something terrible at Bloody Lake)

Saturday started with breakfast at Two Eagles again. After breakfast, I had about hour to relax before the day started running at warp speed. The thing about Galesburg, is that we always have a "Fashion Show" on Saturday, and somehow Wil always ropes me into participating. So I had to put on my 18th Century Gentleman's Clothes. Black and white cocked hat, frilly shirt, couch killer weskit, fancy coat, knee breeches, clocked stocking, buckle shoes, fine walking stick. Hotter than Hell (in more than one way). And then for the show, I got to have Ktreva on my arm as my consort. Everyone was Jealous. And then Cow was following along behind as my Haiji manservant. Carrying my chair, and a box with a chalice and bottle of wine. Every time I stopped walking, the chair came out, I sat down and Cow poured me a glass of wine. I was on first. And after I got done with my short speech, we moved off to the other side of the area where the show was being held, continuing to maintain 1st person. Wil, who was emceeing the show, told us after the show that someone came up to him and asked "Who does that guy think he is?! And what is that woman with him, his concubine? And that Haiji with him?" The guy was genuinelly pissed about it. It was great.

As soon as the show was over, I had to set up the archery range. Once the range was set up, was the ONW Company meeting. After the meeting, was the actual archery match. A simple shoot that seemed to really screw with some people. I gave all the shooters a target and told they were shooting for group-10 shots. The shoot took about 2 hours.

Once the shoot was over, several of us cleared the range to set up for the Wedding. It was all done in a colonial style, and was very cool. Congrats again to Mr. and Mrs. Dragonfly.

The wedding was of coursed followed by the reception. Very cool.

And finally, I was able to get out of the Gentleman's clothes and back to something comfortable. About 8:00pm, there was the camp meeting where prizes were awarded. And I was done for the day. Even considered going to bed. But I didn't and after sitting around and jawing with some friends, I wandered down to where a bunch of folks were playing music. A couple guys requested I do a song or two, so I did, along with Wes.

All in all, it turned out to be a good day, but tiring.

Sunday, was again breakfast at Two Eagles. Western omlette and blueberry buckwheat pancakes. Damn good.

And I had nothing else to do for the rest of the day. The family showed up, so I talked to them for a little while and they went wandering. I was the last person to get packed up and out of the area where a bunch of the ONW/River Scum camped. Really didn't want to leave.

Of course, Omar the wopdog went along. Everybody loved him. Some threatened to kidnap him. And he was really tired. But it was good socialization for him.


I want to go back. Everything was so much easier there.

2 comments:

Contagion said...

The problem with these is that they don't last long enough, I'm looking forward to Fort Obie.

Wes said...

And by "some" you mean my daughter, of course. Snoofy's a dog nut! :)

It was as always, a blast singing with ya.