Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Alafia River Rendezvous

So, I just recently returned from Florida. 8 days of Rendezvous. I made the 22 hour drive with Token Mexican and The Man from Ohio. When we arrived on Saturday it was an 80 degree temperature swing from home in Illinois. Here on Saturday morning was -5 and in Florida it was 75 and beautiful sunshine. The Florida Frontiersmen who run the Alafia have a pretty good site, about 300 acres of reclaimed phosphate mine. Great shooting range, and a really cool archery range through a swamp, where if you sail an arrow long, you need to think really hard about how much that arrow is worth, because there is a really good chance you are no longer the top of the food chain.

Over the days we were there, I shot archery 3 days. Didn't do terrible but sure would have liked to do better. I didn't shoot any of the gun matches, simply because I was doing a whole bunch more socializing.

On Tuesday, they had the parade of tartans and the highland games. As scary a thought as it is, I even wore a kilt.
Scary ain't it? That is Hot Buttered Rum Master, Me, and Red Legs.

I even did something there that I don't think I did in College. I was knee walking, snot slinging, furniture breaking DRUNK, and three nights in a row. I will post more on those nights in the next couple of days.

All in all, it was a great week and I can't wait to go back in 2009. It is an 1,800 person camp that feels like a local rendezvous with all your closest friends.

9 comments:

Contagion said...

It's about damn time you put a kilt on. It looks like you might even be wearing a proper one.

Crazy Dog Lady said...

Red Legs actually looks more like White Legs and what is that thing on your head?

Welcome to the family!

Quality Weenie
www.qualityweenie.mu.nu

Anonymous said...

And I had the *pleasure* of seeing all three drunks!! It was fun and I'm glad you're planning to come back next year. Let's burn some powder next year and not just sling arrows! Like your blog. From your central florida river scum redneck partner in crime.

Petey said...

O yes. That is a proper Great Kilt. Hand pleated in the back (I didn't have to do the pleats myself, they were pre-done and had a thread through them to hold them in place). Just a great big piece of wool. It was actually not too bad to wear. Able to catch a nice breeze and keep the twig an berries nice and comfortable. The pin at the shoulder actually came from Scotland. Beautiful piece.

I don't know if I am personally going to get a great kilt right away, but I am going to look harder for a good wee kilt.

Plus it would just drive the Haunted 1 nuts.

Petey said...

CDL--Red Legs usually wheres buckskin pants with RED wool from the knees down.

The "thing" on my head is not actually on my head. It is a road sign that was about 10 feet behind me. We didn't set the picture up like that.

bush loper--yes you did. It was great. And you got to see the hangovers the following daze. I really don't know how I got out of there without burning some powder. I am really looking forward to next year, Contagion and his lovely bride Ktreva are planning to come down. It will be one hell of a party. May even need 2 bottles of Red Breast.

Anonymous said...

We can do two bottles, but we'll definitely need more bodies to finish them!

Wes said...

Welcome Petey! Looking good in the kilt dude. Now to find you a "funny blue hat"...

Petey said...

Wes-Why would I want to wear a funny blue hat. One with a big bushy tail down the back. I am not a Jacobite.

I'm Irish actually.

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap in a handbasket...I heard the rumors but now i've seen it with my own eyes! I hear that one out of 3 kilt wearers go commando.....I shudder to think who it is in this photo lol