Wednesday, February 13, 2008

2,345

Two-Thousand-Three-Hundred-Forty-Five.

Do you know what this number is?

It is the number of days since America was attacked by terrorists on September 11, 2001. On that day, the day I took my first test in a college class, time stood still. I can still tell you exactly where I was that day and recount my actions for most of the morning after I learned of the attack.


Now, we are 2,345 days removed from that day, "a day that will live in infamy," without another attack on this continent. And it seems to me that far too many people have forgotten how we all felt that day. In the ensuing days, there was a feeling of National Unity that I had never seen before, or since.

Fast forward to 2008. We have been fighting a war on 2 fronts for going on for over 6 years in Afghanistan and for almost 5 years in Iraq. Over 3,000 American Service Men and Women have given their lives in this fight.

(Please take a moment now to remember those who have given the last full measure of devotion to their country, pray for their families, pray for all of our soldiers still fighting, and pray for their families)



The National Guard unit in my hometown was deployed for 18 months, spending 12 of that in Iraq patrolling the most dangerous stretch of highway in the world, and all of them came home alive, which were are all eternally grateful for. Now they are in preparations for another deployment to Afghanistan, probably leaving this summer. And this little hometown of mine will support them like we did the first time around, in every way possible.

Which gets us to the whole point of this entry. I am just a simple country boy, so I have a really hard time comprehending the concept of "I oppose the war, BUT I support the troops." How can ANYONE say they support anything, but oppose what they are doing? This is a concept outside of my realm of understanding.

And before anyone get the wrong idea about me, I wish with all my heart that we were not fighting a war. I wish we had not been attacked 2,346 days ago. I wish nearly 3,000 American citizens were not killed on that day. I wish that over 3,000 American Soldiers would not have given the last full measure of devotion. I wish there was not people in this world who hate us so vehemently, and have corrupted their own religion, that they want to kill themselves to kill us. But we were attacked. The towers fell, the walls were knocked out of the pentagon, a plane came down in Pennsylvania. And people in this world do hate us. The Taliban harbored those who hate us supported them. Saddam's regime supported and harbored those who hate us.

So many people are quick to say, "There were no weapons of mass destruction." Maybe we didn't find fully assembled WMD's, but we haven't probed every inch of sand yet either.

But here is the perspective I take on it, and Dennis Miller put it so eloquently, "Saddam and his sons drew the Wonka Ticket in the Asshole lottery." We can either fight terrorists on our own soil while they kill more civilians, or we fight them on the ground of our choosing. We chose Afghanistan and Iraq. And while we are at it, removed a dictator cut from the same mould as Hitler and Stalin, committing mass murder of their own citizens. Unfortunately, thousands of Iraqi citizens have lost their lives in this war.

But while war is never an attractive option, I believe in this case, it was the only option. Terrorists do not have a government to hold responsible. How do you hold diplomatic talks with a group that has no representatives.



I am sure that everyone has heard about actions of the Berkley, California City Council. How could ANYONE say "We support the troops" while telling them they are not welcome in the city. Define: Hypocrite. There is no difference between this and saying "I oppose the war, BUT I support the troops." Do those who say this think this supports the morale of our Soldiers.

I wish we were not in a war. It is my most sincere desire that all of our Soldiers can home soon, and that not another family has to be informed that their husband, son, father, mother, daughter, or wife has given that last full measure.

But you will never hear me oppose the war (because I believe this is the fight we are faced with at this time). And if you do oppose the war, I believe you should BITE YOUR DAMN TOUNGE.





To see a good example of really supporting our troops, visit Blackfive.

And I will close with this sentiment. From the bottom of my heart to ALL of our Soldiers, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE, AND CONTINUE TO DO, which gives me the right to write this. May God bless you and watch over you, protect you until you all come home.

---------

Update: To read more about the treasonous scum in Berkley, go to Blackfives post: The Battle is Joined. (disclaimer: I am not responsible for damage to you computer when you read this and get so sick you actually vomit. Yes, it really is that bad)

3 comments:

D. Skippy said...

Amen, brother.
If you support the troops then try respecting the fact that they knew exactly what they were signing up for. What do people think the military is for, anyway? Parades?

Anonymous said...

Well said Petey. That same bunch of libtards (found that descriptive word used at Blackfive and really liked it) will be screaming for the military to save them when/if we are again attacked, and then blaming them for taking out the ragheads that did the deed and violating their "rights".

Anonymous said...

From where I sit, if you say you support our troops but don't support the war, then you are only saying it to make YOURSELF feel better. Nearly all of the Sailors, Marines, Soldiers and Airmen believe in what they are doing. You can't support us without supporting what we do. It's just not possible.