Monday, February 4, 2008

Illinois Primary

So, tomorrow is the Illinois Primary. And the field of Presidential "Candidates" really sucks. The field has:
1 Libertarian in Republican Clothing (Ron Paul)
2 Democrats in Republican Clothing (John McCain and Mitt Romney)
2 Communist in Democrats Clothing (Osama and Hitlery)
1 sorta Republican, although his support for in state tuition of illegal immigrants bothers me (Huckabee)

I consider myself to be a pretty hardcore Conservative Republican, other than on energy, where I support the use of renewable fuels, wind energy, and reduction in dependence on foreign oil (or at least being in a position to have an uninterrupted transition from oil coming from hostile nations to our allies, and domestic sources). I am not going to run out and join Greenpeace or climb up and live in a tree. For me, it is more tied to national sovereignty and supporting our own citizens with work and affordable basics. I have thought about driving either a flex fuel or hybrid. It would still be a pickup truck, and no not a compact. The Chevy Silverado. But, again, for me it would be to support fuel sources coming from the U.S. or to save money.

When I returned from Florida a little over a week ago and learned that Fred Thompson had dropped his bid for the nomination, I nearly cried. There is no clear Conservative choice in the race.

Today, I filled out a long survey of probably 350+ quotes on policy and position of all the candidates to help figure out which candidate you would most align with. H/T to Shadoglare for the site myelectionchoices.com.

Of all the candidates calling themselves "Republicans" Mike Huckabee was the high number, at 35 statements, followed by Mitt Romney at 32, John McCain at 28, and Ron Paul with a 26. I just don't truck Romney and McCain. I have the utmost respect for John McCain, for his history in the military and experience in Viet Nam. But his record is not in line with my views. My biggest issue with Romney actually comes from the area of energy. A developer out of Boston wanted to build a wind farm in the ocean 6 miles off of Cape Cod where Romney and TED KENNEDY have there expensive homes. And these guys, along with others, worked together to fight the development of this farm, because it would be where they like to sail. Stick it in your freaking ear and get over yourself.

So I am down to either Huckabee or Paul.

Or I might just go ahead and vote for Thompson anyway.



Oh, and if I haven't ever told you, I really, REALLY hate the U.S. Congressman from the 17th District. And as I was doing my research on the candidates, I found THERE IS NOT REPUBLICAN RUNNING FOR THIS SEAT!!!!! M^*#*r F*^#^*r. I KNEW I should have ran for Congress this year. In 2006 I said I was going to and I didn't follow through. Maybe I can get on the Ballot for the General Election.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Red says
I would have voted for you & made you an awesome suit for the crowning day!

Petey said...

I think, since no candidate ran in the primaries, the precinct committeemembers select the candidate. I know one of the committeemembers in my town. He is a good friend. That may be my back door onto the ballot.

Contagion said...

I felt the same way about the 67th district.