Monday, October 20, 2008

Great Music Monday-Rocky Road To Dublin

I wasn't going to go back to a Celtic tune tonight originally, but as I was going through my list this song just seemed to strike me as right for the day.

And I don't know why.

The song is "Rocky Road to Dublin."

From Wikipedia:"Rocky Road to Dublin" is a fast-paced 19th century Irish song about a man's experiences as he travels to Dublin Ireland from his home in Tuam. The tune has a typical Irish rhythm, classified as a slip jig and is often performed instrumentally.

The words were written by D. K. Gavan, "The Galway Poet", for the English music hall performer Harry Clifton (1824-1872), who popularised the song.


I am actually going to post several videos of different people doing the song.

For starters, The Dubliners with lead singer, the late Luke Kelly. I am starting with this video for my friend Wes of Bodhran Roll, Please. At the Blogcrawl, he and I were discussing music in our inebriated state and I was trying to explain who Kelly was.




Another group I was trying to tell Wes about is a newer group called The High Kings which was put together by the David Downes, who established the amazing group Celtic Woman. The High Kings is a group of 4 very talented Celtic musicians.

This is their version of the song.



And no grouping of videos for the "Rocky Road to Dublin" would be complete without a group of innovators, for 46 years, The Chieftains (wiki) have been taking Celtic music to places it has never been before.




One simply cannot help but start your feet a tapping when this song is played.



As always, don't forget to leave comments and suggestions.

1 comment:

Wes said...

I couldn't ask for a better song to get stuck in my head for the day. :)

I'd never heard the High Kings before. I've gotta hear more of 'em!