Monday, June 23, 2008

Great Music Monday-Fanfare for the Common Man

I am sure you have all heard Aaron Copland's great piece, "Fanfare for the Common Man" even if you didn't know what the piece actually was.

The story of the music, from Wikipedia: Copland, in his autobiography, wrote of the request: "Eugene Goossens, conductor of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, had written to me at the end of August about an idea he wanted to put into action for the 1942-43 concert season. During World War I he had asked British composers for a fanfare to begin each orchestral concert. It had been so successful that he thought to repeat the procedure in World War II with American composers". A total of eighteen fanfares [1] were written at Goossens' behest, but Copland's is the only one which remains in the standard repertoire.

Goosens had suggested titles such as Fanfare for Soldiers, or sailors or airmen, and he wrote that "[i]t is my idea to make these fanfares stirring and significant contributions to the war effort...." Copland considered several titles including Fanfare for a Solemn Ceremony and Fanfare for Four Freedoms; to Goossens' surprise, however, Copland titled the piece Fanfare for the Common Man. Goossen wrote "Its title is as original as its music, and I think it is so telling that it deserves a special occasion for its performance. If it is agreeable to you, we will premiere it 12 March 1943 at income tax time". Copland's reply was "I [am] all for honoring the common man at income tax time".


It is a grand piece and I like it. Fitting for the beauty that is this great nation we live in, but simple enough for everyday schlubs like me.

The best video of this song I found on the internet is of the New York Philharmonic, but it is not embeddable. So, follow this link to see the video, and if you want it on CD, I recommend the Mannheim Steamroller C.W. McCall cd, "American Spirit."


So enjoy, comment on your thoughts, and make suggestions.


*Raising Glass* "To the Common Man."


2 comments:

Wes said...

Beautiful piece of music, The Common Man.

BTW, I answered your meme here
http://bodhranrollplease.blogspot.com/

For a meme, it wasn't bad. :-)

BTW2, It was great hanging out with you & Contagion Saturday. We've gotta do that again!

Anonymous said...

Red says:
That was totally awesome! Makes me miss the days when I played viola in the high school orchestra.