Thursday, June 5, 2008

I would like to meet this kid.

Zac Sunderland.

At 16, he is preparing to embark on a challenge to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the world-alone.

Originally, he was supposed to leave on May 31, but an engine issue has pushed him back until June 14th.

I'll just come right out and say it, I am jealous. It would be an absolutely amazing experience.

Quite frankly, I think it would scare me to death, since I have never sailed before, but I would love to go out across the sea on a tall ship. Something like the USS Constitution, the oldest commissioned ship afloat in the world. That's right, the USS Constitution was commissioned as a ship in the United States Navy in 1797 and is still on active service in the Navy. She has a crew of 55 sailors assigned to her.

Granted, she is no longer used in any combat, but is a "ship of state" used for ceremonies and tours, as it sits in Boston Harbor.


If you are interested in keeping track of Zac's progress on his voyage, he is going to blog as often as possible. You can read his blog here, and it will be in the blogroll on the right as well.

All I have to say is, God Speed Zac.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yar, I would be dressin' up as a pirate and bringin' along a barrel of wenches so I could plunder some bootay. And some vitamin C to scare off the scurvy!

Contagion said...

The joys of the rich, they can afford to do stuff like this. There are a ton of things I'd love to do, but either due to family or cost it's just too prohibative. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the kid, I'm just jealous.

Although, to be honest I'm not sure I would want to go sailing by myself. I'd get too lonely.

Petey said...

Actually, from the stuff I have read, this kid is not rich, or at least doesn't let on like he is. He bought the boat for $6,000 with money he had saved since he was younger, cleaned it up and got it into sailing condition, and is looking for sponsors to help fund the trip.

As far as getting lonely, a satellite phone company has sponsored him with a phone that will work anywhere-worth an estimated $50,000. So he can call anybody he wants. And, depending on your art skills, you could draw a someone on you hand.