Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Frustrations and Progress

I haven't blogged about the Omar, my wonderpuppy in a while, so I thought tonight it would be a good way to multi-task.

Sarah Palin is giving her speech to the RNC. So far, sounds really good.

But anyway, the puppy.

Two and a half weeks ago Omar went to his first Rendezvous. All went very well. Other than Thursday night he thought it better to tug on his leash than lay down and sleep. After 5 minutes, I decided it was better to keep him in his routine. Short walk to the truck for his kennel and the rest of the night was uneventful.

Of course everyone loved him. And most couldn't believe he was only 14 weeks old. The only time he barked was when people played with him. And oh how people played with him. Hours and hours. Sunday night, Omar was so tired he didn't really feel like eating. But that cleared up quickly.


Fast forward a week. Sunday morning I went out to mow the yard and thought it would be a good chance to let Omar run off some extra energy. It takes me about 90 minutes to get the yard finished. The whole time Omar was free to run with the farm dog.

Big mistake. I have spent quite a bit of this week going back to basics. The problem is that Omar had decided it is more fun to run around chasing cats with the farm dog and ignore me than follow commands. But, after being caught off guard by the leash flying over his head and my imposing frame stepping between the two dogs, we are making progress.


Then, last weekend Omar went to his second rendezvous. We had kids running through the camp all weekend, the shooting range not too far away, coyotes outside of camp (not really close, but they were audible). He took it all in stride. The first bark all weekend? Monday as we were getting ready to tear down. Everyone was amazed. The Man From Ohio made a comment over the weekend (right after someone else's dog ran to the end of his chain barking at a young child and scared the child so much he cried), that he didn't really like dogs at rendezvous. But if they were all like Omar, it would be alright. The issue is that dogs like Omar attend events and are good dogs, and others see these good dogs and think "I can bring my dog, too" when their dog is not good around people.


And then to today. I got home around 5:30 and brought Omar out of his kennel. I don't know what it was but he seemed to have an extra shot of energy. We spent about 45 minutes outside running, playing, and training. I was able to somewhat get his focus when he was playing with the farm dog. Still not to the level of response I will demand, but progress. When he playing with the farm dog he was in and out of some 5'-7' weeds, so I decided to take him across the road to do some more work in tall grass. I about fell over laughing the way he was running around.

I shot some video on my phone, but can't figure out how in the hell to get it off the phone (if anyone can tell me how to get videos off a motorola razr v2, please help). So for now, enjoy the photos.

Omar sitting
Omar laying down
Omar running

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

getting video off a razor phone sucks. I have the Krzr phone (same thing just in a smaller package) and it's a bitch.

You need a program called motorola phone tools and a usb cable. Sometimes you can't just plug it in and it will work so you need another program. I can't remember what it's called but it's basically a connection program for if you need to reinstall the operating system on your phone. Also video files are buried in your phone and suck to find.

It might be easier to just email it to yourself off your phone.

Wes said...

You are spot on about dogs at rendezvous. Most of 'em, I can't stand: they bark at everything (or nothing), they scare kids (except the kids that need scaring), & a fair number of owners don't know how to pick up after their dog.

The work you've put into Omar really shows. He's the best behaved dog I've seen in a long time, especially for a PUP! You're doing a helluva job, man. :)

Home on the Range said...

What an awesome dog. I'm afraid I was gone a lot when Barkley was little. He minds well enough at home, but I couldn't take him to the range or a meet. He's happy though, being older, being house dog, til I get home and can take him out in the land behind and play with him.

Omar is great. You've done well.

Contagion said...

Petey send it as a text message to yourself or upload it directly to youtube. That's what I do.

Petey said...

For some reason the phone comes up with a "Send Restriction" note and won't let me text or e-mail the videos.

I hate technology sometimes.

KTreva said...

Omar is the best pup in the entire world! He's just so good! Even when Clone managed to get tangled up in is leash, Omar just gave him a good licking!

Please give him a tummy rub for me :)