Sunday, September 7, 2008

Range Report - Sigma and PT1911

So this afternoon I went shooting to address a horrible injustice to myself.

I headed to one of our farms that has gotten overgrown and is far enough away from other houses that I can shoot. There is an old barn that needs bulldozed with a concrete cattle lot outside.

I set a a piece of plate steel and painted a some orange dots on it and shot several clips through the Smith & Wesson Sigma SW40VE. A .40 S&W caliber pistol. The gun functioned well, my biggest concern is the way shells eject. I would notice casing flying directly over the top of my head. The final casing out of one clip actually hit me in the forehead. I dunno about this. The recoil is very manageable, however, having not actually sighted it in, my shots were tending to be a little low at seven yards. I am going to need more range time to get the feel for this one, which worries me, as I want to be able to instinctively shoot a pistol, in case it would ever be needed for home or personal defense. But I am not giving up on it yet.

I also shot several clips through my Taurus PT1911, which is Brazilian gun maker Taurus' model of JMB's classic M1911. I have always wanted a 1911 and I saw this one on sale a couple months ago. Worth the money. Performed flawlessly. Like the .40 S&W, the recoil was very manageable and it really just felt good in my hands. Plain and simple, I like this gun. It is still in the back of my mind to change the factory knurled plastic grips to wood, but other than that, no changes. Just sight it in, but its does have a more natural point feel. Kinda like my Ruger P90 for me.

All in all, it was a good day on the range. The PT1911 proved itself worthwhile and the jury is still out on the Smith and Wesson Sigma.

I shot a video at the end of my shooting comparing how I shot the Sigma and the PT1911 straight out of the box. But YouTube is taking forever to upload right now. I'll embedded it tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, I need to go shoot my Sigma.

Wes said...

Sounds like a very productive therapy session. :)

I've been lusting after 1911s for years! Does the Taurus model really compare that well to the original Colt model?