Monday, March 17, 2008

The High Holy Day

I am not a Catholic (and the Catholic Church actually moved St. Patrick's Day to the 15th of March since this is Holy Week) but I am part Irish by blood, and a lot Irish by feeling. While St. Patrick's Day is actually a church holiday, it has become a secular celebration as well.

Friday on my way home from work, I stopped at Friar Tuck's for and extra supply Guinness. Picked up two 8-packs of cans. When I got back to town, I made a stop at my storage unit for my Guinness Tulip Glasses, the only kind of glass to drink a proper pint from.

Saturday night I went to a Shack Attack for something like a St. Paddy's party. Played music, ate good food, good conversation, and BEER. Namely, Guinness and Smithwick's Irish Ale.

But anyway. In honor of the High Holy Day, I will be periodically posting videos and such for your enjoyment of the day.

And for starters, we all should enjoy a fine pint of Guinness, or 37. But to truly enjoy Guinness it must be poured properly. So that is where we start. With Guinness Brewmaster Fergal Murray showing the way to pour a proper pint.



My friends are the best friends
Loyal, willing and able.
Now let’s get to drinking!
All glasses off the table!

Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

4 comments:

Ogre said...

I've started stocking the Guinness. Now if I can just find a way to turn it green..

Petey said...

But why would you want to ruin that beautiful dark ruby color.

I really don't think it is possible.

I refuse to drink green beer on St. Patrick's Day. It's stupid. And while I am part Irish, I am also part German and believe in the 500 year old German Beer Purity Laws. Don't be adding shit to my beer, even food coloring.

Anonymous said...

Mostly I just use it as an excuse to drink more beer. "Gee, I better drink it today, because tomorrow there won't BE green beer!"

Petey said...

I never need an excuse to drink more beer. Especially when it is Guinness.