Monday, March 3, 2008

A Response to the Shootings at NIU

*I have not posted about this event prior to this time, out of respect for the students and families of NIU.*

On February 14, the lives of thousands of Northern Illinois University students and their families were changed forever when a very disturbed 27 year old opened fire in the middle of a lecture, with a shotgun and 3 handguns.

5 Students lost their lives. 54 shots were fired-6 from the shotgun and 48 from the handguns.

The shooter (I will not use his name, he doesn't deserve to be famous) entered through a door that allowed him access to the stage where the instructor was lecturing from, and opened fire.

Now, I don't know what kind of handguns the shooter used, but I would guess he had to at least change magazines in the handguns at least once. Without having any details of what happened in that lecture hall, I can formulate a hypothesis of what happened.

The whole incident lasted maybe a couple of minutes. The shooter steps out from behind a screen, probably with the shotgun first opens fire. Shoots until the shotgun is empty, with a possible reload. Then he probably dropped the shotgun, pulled the first handgun and fired until empty. And then repeated with each subsequent handgun, probably reloading at least one of them during the spree. The last shot ended himself. When the first shot or two reported panic ensued. The sound of the gunshots breaking through the deafening screams of terrified students. Many would have gone to the floor as quickly as the could, others may have ran for the door. Some may have been so petrified that they couldn't even move out of their chairs.


How it is that more people are not dead, is a miracle.

In the hours and days and weeks that have followed, we have all tried to find sense in what happened. To find closure and and explanation.


Now, we are nearly 3 weeks since that day. Classes have resumed and the students, faculty and family are trying to return to a normal life.



There are two sides of the debate on gun control. Those who believe that guns create violence and that outlawing guns will end violence and crime. And those who know that disarming law abiding citizens will not only aid violence and raise crime, but will allow for the growth of tyranny in government. If you haven't figured out, I am in the camp of the latter.

When this tragic event occurred, I was at Winter Camp, away from all other civilization. By the time I returned home the following Sunday, the anti-gun mayor of Chicago Richard Daley was already exploiting this tragedy to advance his own agenda. Somehow, this shooting is evidence that bullets should be individually serial numbered, .50 caliber rifles need to be banned, and we should only be allowed to buy one handgun every 30 days.

Could someone explain this logic to me? I just can't seem to follow it. First, what would a bullet serial number registered to the shooter have done in this case? Nothing. Where did ANYTHING about .50 caliber rifles come from? Nothing to do with this instance. Would one handgun every month have stopped this shooter? No, he purchased handguns in August 2007, December 2007, and a couple weeks prior to the shooting. But Daley and his cronies would never share that information. They only exploit tragedy and personal loss for personal gain.

The other side of debate. My side. I read blogs and get several newsletters a week on gun rights and assaults on them. There were no instant calls for further gun rights.

I will say this, though, as a college graduate. When sitting on a college campus you feel very vulnerable. During my time, I ALWAYS had at least a pocket knife on me. I ALWAYS have a pocket knife on me. In class, I tried to always sit in the back of the room, basically with my back to a brick wall, and good view of the door(s). I lived in the dorms for one year (I did 2 years at a community college and lived at home, before transferring to University). During the time in the dorms, you are left to be a victim. I had 2 guns on campus, but because I was in the dorms I had to check them into the Office of Public Safety, a quarter of a mile from my dorm, and if I wanted to use them, it took 10-15 minutes to get them. My senior year I lived in an Interfaith House. Great move for me. I had several friends who also lived in the house, and I kept my guns in my room, usually at least 1 shotgun and 1 handgun, sometimes a scoped rifle as well. A little bit more secure.

So I put to you this scenario. A person enters a room full of students and opens fire with a shotgun. The students panic. One student in the back of the room hits the floor, and immediately draws out his concealed pistol. While watching the gunman for an opportunity, he see the gunman drop his shotgun and reach for a handgun. The student quickly rises to one knee and fires 3 quick shots, hitting the gunman center mass with all three shots. The gunman falls to floor. Immediately the student approaches the gunman, maintaining a sight picture for a potential follow-up shot, should the gunman reach for a gun. Out in the classroom there are still wounded, and possibly dead, but less than if gunman had continued to shoot. 2 minutes later the police come in to find the gunman still being covered by the student who stopped the bloody carnage.

Far fetched? In the case of Northern Illinois University and Virginia Tech, yes. But it doesn't have to be. Virginia has laws that allow for private citizens to carry concealed weapons. Illinois does not. Illinois is one of TWO states that has absolutely no concealed carry program. The other being Wisconsin. Even the like of California, New York, and Maryland have a partial program.

The police in this country are by and large very well trained and highly professional. And they take their job seriously. Serve and Protect is their way of life. But, police cannot be everywhere all the time. In rural areas, it can take 10-30 minutes for law enforcement to arrive. At NIU, police arrived in 4 minutes (I believe is what I read, can't find the verification on that right now). A lot happened in 4 minutes.

So here is the Final Jeopardy question. Who in the hell do those stupid politicians think they are that they can tell me and everyone else that we do not have the right to defend ourselves. We shouldn't have to pass concealed carry and castle doctrine laws. We all have the RIGHT to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. But instead, the law tells us we are to be victims.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Red says:
Don't forget a majority of these guns are being bought illegally. So what good would all the gun restrictions be? As for somebody breaking into our home, remember what Wil said we live near a hogfarm.

Petey said...

The vast majority of guns used in crime are not legally possessed. In the case of the NIU shooter, they were legally purchased. Over the course of 6 months, the shooter bought all 4 guns through a gun shop. He passed the background check, and had the Illinois Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID Card) which you have to possess in Illinois to purchase guns and ammunition. It is possible that the shooters mental background may have disqualified him, but the State Police didn't catch it, the NICS (National Instant Check System) didn't register any red flags. There is a shortcoming in the system on mental health issues that would cause someone to be denied for the purchase of a firearm. The Virginia Tech shooting brought that to light. And there have been some measures to correct this problem, but it is not fixed. Someone with a history of mental illness is not allowed to purchase firearms in this country.

I live ON a hog farm. Few things in this world are worse on a body than hogs and hog shit.

I can recall multiple cases in just the last couple of years of bodies in hog pens. One was a farmer who had a heart attack in a hog pen. A couple of hours later he was half gone-eaten by the hogs. Then there was a body that ended up in a hog pen and could only be identified by dental records, in less than 24 hours.

They can have my guns and leave me defenseless when they take them from my cold dead hands.

Anonymous said...

Little by little, that's how they are taking away our freedoms.

I'm hoping that the Supreme Court puts this to rest. But I don't think they will. I'd bet money that they come back and say it's the state's right to ban firearms if they see fit.

Petey said...

My guess is the SCOUS comes back and says that it is an individual right, but open to some reasonable restriction. Probably overturn the D.C. ban, but allow some of the other existing laws to stand (waiting periods, automatics ban). It will end up as a partial victory for both sides.

I would rather have that decision than an upholding of the ban. Even though I don't like it.

After this decision, if it goes the way I (along with many others) think it will, the bills we will be fighting to stop will be lots more registrations, ballistic fingerprinting, bullet serialization, extensive licensing. The gun grabbers won't give up, if they can't ban the guns, they will try to make it so expensive that no one can afford to buy or shoot them.

Contagion said...

I like your scenario, I just don't know if most people, even the best of shooters, would be calm and collective enough to hit three times in a gun fight. Hell, I'll admit I probably wouldn't be, and I went through police training.

More than likely they would take 2-4 shots hitting at least once. But that's just arguing schematics.

People want to take firearms away from the rest of us because they are either afraid of them or want to control us. At least that's my opinion.

That's why I'm going to IGOLD next week.

Anonymous said...

Wil says:
It is a tragedy what happened at NIU, Virginia Tech & Columbine and lately at other numerous campuses. But I'm a firm believer that the cause of these tragedies are less because of improper gun laws as much as I believe it is due to the lack of help that should have been provided to these people before they ever decided to walk onto a campus and start blazing away. Therefore it is more our societies fault than any lack of gun regulation. If we would have recognized these peoples problem and tried to help them. Then maybe we would have helped alot of those kids who were sadly murdered on these campuses. As far as arming campuses is concerned, I'm not so sure that would be the best idea; because perpetuate the since of fear that I feel would be detrimental to achieving ones education while there.
Don't get me wrong. Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm a firm believer and stonch advocate of the 2nd amendment next to my daughters dismay. But in the civilized society, there has to be a better way than letting folks walk around armed to the teeth like it was the old west.