Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Support

When I came into the office this morning, my mother (I work in our family owned business) holds up The Dispatch newspaper out of the Quad Cities, where the main headline grabs my attention: "Sheriffs support concealed guns."

That's right boys and girls, the Illinois Sheriffs Association adopted a resolution in support of the passage of a Concealed Carry law for the State of Illinois. Not only adopted the resolution, but here are the really great kickers: The association's resolution noted it surveyed Illinois sheriffs on the issue, and 90 percent of those responding "support concealed carry in Illinois ..." and "...the group unanimously supported the call for a concealed-carry handgun law."

I'll spare you the reprinting of the entire article, you can go and read it at the link above, but I do want to highlight some of the keys quotes of the article.

From Henry County Sheriff Gib Cady (my county): "We are constitutional officers for the people, and the people want this."

From Todd Vandermyde, spokesman for the National Rifle Association: "Sheriffs aren't the puppets of mayors and county board chairmen. What's being proposed is not a radical idea. Forty-eight states have it. Forty-eight states can't be wrong."

No, they can't be wrong. 40 states have show that Will-Issue programs are effective crime deterrents.

Maybe, just maybe this will grab the attention of some in Springfield.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope they pass it, I've been waiting 24 years for concealed weapons law to pass.