Sunday, June 21, 2009

Resolution

Last summer, I mentioned that I hadn't gotten some new guns shot. Well, I got one of them shot for the first time during dove season, the Stoeger Uplander. But the problem was that out of the four shells that I put through the gun, one didn't fire. I never thought much about it.

Then New Year's Day rolled around, and there was an extended range session that combined about 1,500 rounds of 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .45 ACP, and .40 S&W. One of the several firearms used that day was the Uplander. But it didn't take long for all of us there that day to get very frustrated when one barrell of the Uplander repeatedly didn't fire. It seemed to be every shell or every other shell through the right barrell (which is the first to fire) would not actually discharge. The primer in the shell was dimpled, but no discharge. Needless to say, I was pissed. Over $600 for a gun and it doesn't freaking work! But it is still under warranty.

I took the Uplander back to Gander Mountain, where I purchased it. When I walked up to the gunsmith counter, he took one look at the gun and said "Oh, it's a Stoeger. I get so many of those in I don't even work on 'em, I just send 'em back to Benelli."

Shit.

So at the end of January (it took me a month to get to Peoria since it is an hour drive), the Uplander was sent to Benelli. I finally got it back in early April. The day I got it back, I took it out to make sure it worked. First shell in the gun: CLICK!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMNITDAMNITDAMNIT!!!! I put 8 more shells through that barrell and had a total of 2 mis-fires. Even more pissed than before. I just spent two months without my shotgun and paid $25 in shipping to get an unfixed gun. So I call Benelli and complain that it is not fixed and that I am NOT paying shipping again to fix the same problem. They tell me to go back to Gander again, and they can bill Benelli for the shipping. So back to the Gunsmith, and as I walk up to the counter, he recognizes me immediately (I've been told I leave and impression on people). He asks what do I have this time.

"Same gun, same problem" I tell him.

"Well, we can send it in again."

Another month of waiting, and the gunsmith calls. Benelli sent it back and said they found no problems.

"They're lying to ya," I respond. So the gunsmith suggests that I bring in a box of the shells I was having problems with and he can test fire it before I take it home.

So when I go to pick up the Uplander, I carried in two boxes of shells. The gunsmith took 4 to his test range and fired, with no problems. I am simply dumbfounded. And he could read it on my face, I am sure. So he suggests, let me try four more. This time, the first shell in the the right barrell doesn't fire. So the gunsmith comes out and calls Benelli to tell them that he had the same problem I did. They ask what shells he used. After he read off the label, the Benelli rep said "Oh, we recommend you don't shoot anything lighter that an 1-1/8 ounce load."

"Well why does that matter on the first barrell?" (and it wouldn't matter on the second barrell either, since the Uplander does not require recoil to set the trigger).

But the gunsmith humors the rep, and says he'll try an 1-1/8 oz load. First shell, CLICK!

Back on the phone to Benelli. This time, he gets the return authorization.

Finally, we have a resolution.

A little over a week ago, the gunsmith called me. "Benelli sent you a new gun."

So the next time time I am in Peoria, I get to go pick up a new Stoeger Uplander. Hopefully, without the problems.

3 comments:

Graumagus said...

Benelli usually has a much better reputation than that. A gun that has a flaw like that should have never made it into production, and after it did they should have been recalled.

I would have been pissed to the point of telling the brand to fuck off.

Petey said...

As the gunsmith at Gander Mountain said, "Stoeger ain't a Benelli."

Stoeger is owned by Benelli, but they are of the same quality.

And I seriously considered going in to pick up this new shotgun that Benelli sent and not even walking out of the store with it. Just sell it back to Gander, take the loss on the chin and get something different.

Farm King has Remington Over/Unders for less than $500 right now. Or go by a good used SxS at Simpson's. Maybe a Husqvarna.

Jim E. said...

Well how did the gun work for ya or did you sell it back?