Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Took the Plunge

Well, I took the plunge yesterday. I had been debating with myself about buying a new gun. But just couldn't make the commitment. Then, as I was heading home from work, I stopped at Music Makers in Peoria, to see what they had for guitars.

I went through the selection looking over about 30 guitars to see if one caught my eye. I saw a nice Fender, which I picked up and played for a couple minutes. But the action of it was too tight and I wasn't impressed with the sound. So it went back to the rack. Then I picked up a beautiful black Takamine.

I sat down and played it for probably 20 minutes and really liked the sound (it does need a slight neck adjustment-but that is minor). Even with my sore fingers from really stepping up the amount I am playing here lately, it still felt good.

And it was on sale. $150 below normal list price. I asked if it came with a case, which it did not, but they had some options in stock. The guy I was talking to said he would knock $50 off the price of a hard shell case and throw in a stand or strap for free. So I bought it.

And tonight, I stopped at Don's Music Land and picked up a Levy's strap with a Celtic Cross Embroidered on it and a Kyser Capo.

Ain't it purrty. A Takamine EG341


It's an acoustic electric, with built in tuner.

Really, I bought it for taking to living history events so that I don't scratch my Yairi.

Jealous?

6 comments:

Kevin said...

[quote="Petey"]Jealous?[/quote]

Nope. That's your bag, kid.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Yeah I've been meaning to start playing again too but it's sort of hard when my only guitar is 1500miles north slowly messing itself up from disuse.

With acoustics though, I like a more heavy low end on it since high notes carry more.

Contagion said...

I'm not thinking they had electric guitars in 1756. In fact I'm not sure they had guitars like that at all in 18th century, I'd have to look it up. If it's not period, are you going to trade it in for one that is? :)

andhow38 said...

Well it really isnt period, I am perty sure it was considerd a womens instrument.....but I will not judge because I enjoy music way to much to dwell on that, but you will not be welcome to have it at our juried event.. sorry I cant have mine... then you cant have yours.:P

Petey said...

Contagion-no I am not going to trade it in.

andhow38 is correct, the guitar was a women's instrument in the 18th century. A man's instrument was the flute. Not the modern flute, but the pennywhistle style flute. I wouldn't take it to a juried event, because it doesn't fit my persona. That's why I just sing song and shanties.

andhow38-Which juried event do you help run?

Anonymous said...

I'm not real familiar with guitar history, but I'm guessing to be "period" for that long ago it may have to be a simple wood-grain classical guitar?
Of course, not everyone is as anal about historical accuracy in a frikkin' recreational event as Contagion is, so I suspect you'll be OK either way ;)