Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Who Knew?

Apparently, the United States has a voluntary tax system. And that comes from the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Where was I when this system became "voluntary?" I must have missed that memo, along with every other person I have ever met.

And what makes it "voluntary?" Why, they fact that we file a tax return.

So, maybe if I don't file my return this year, I don't have to pay taxes.

But wait, there is a problem with that. If I don't file my tax return, anything I may have overpaid I don't get back. And, if I don't file, there will be several people in suits at my door with a beautiful set of bracelets, a new set of clothes, a new bed, and all the shower rape one could ever want. If I decide that I don't want to pay my taxes, will my employer just not withhold anything from my check? NO.

Who in the fuck are you kidding, Harry. Evidently all the bright lights of Vegas have made you a stupid idiot. There is nothing voluntary about paying taxes in this country. I was never asked. I didn't volunteer to give up my money to you. And if I didn't pay them, you throw me if jail for breaking the law. How on God's green earth is that fucking voluntary?


h/t to IMAO.

Just more proof that Dennis Miller is right.

8 comments:

Contagion said...

I wish it was voluntary. The way the government is going right now, I'd start withholding my taxes until it started running at least with a financially responsible agenda.

See ya tomorrow!

Petey said...

As far as fiscal responsibility, the government sucks. I think it was Mitt Romney that talked about government spending at the level of income from taxes minus one percent. This idea that the government can just continually spend without money in the coffers is a horrible slippery slope. The national debt is immense. The last time I saw a number it was almost $20,000 for every man, woman, and child for their share of the debt, and that has probably been 7-10 years ago.

Illinois is going to go bankrupt before the current governor is out. He has spent every dime he could get in and then stolen money from other areas that he shouldn't be touched, like peoples retirement.

Reckless spending and huge debts will be a major downfall of this country at the collapse. The government needs to be held accountable for their debts and spending like citizens are. If you take out a loan, you develop a plan on how to repay it in a set amount of time. And if you are a responsible borrower, you don't get more than you can afford to pay back in terms that are hard to meet. That is the problem with the "housing crisis." Too many people got into loans that they couldn't afford.

Anonymous said...

Voluntary my ass. If that were the case they couldn't take it directly from our pay check and the IRS wouldn't have an enforcement division. That guy is delusional with a capital crazy.

Petey said...

Yeah, and Reid is the senior senator from Nevada, and the current United States Senate Majority Leader. This is the mentality of the Democratic Party in this country.

Kevin said...

Why don't you try not filing a return and claiming the max # exemptions on your W-4 one time and let us all know how it works out for you ;) We'll be waiting for the picture of you in the orange jumpsuit!!!

It is more imperative than ever that, at the very least, the White House remains out of Democrat hands in November, if not resuming control of Congress - though today's Republicans aren't significantly better than the bleeding hearts there today...

Anyone else agree two political major parties don't cut it - and that we need at least one, if not two, more parties because there are so few people who are not elected officials who fall 100% into one category or the other?

D. Skippy said...

Re: Third party.

To quote the Kang (or was it Kodos?) from the Simpsons, "Go ahead, throw away your vote."

Petey said...

I wouldn't have a problem with a third party, but how is one going to be formed? From my perspective, nobody comes to mind to lead the establishment of the third party. We have had more than 2 parties at multiple times in American History.

There was an Anti-Masonic Party in the 1830's. The Abolition Party of the 1840's and '50's (which is the root of today's Republican Party), There were the Whigs, Democratic Republicans, and others.

Unfortunately, I don't see a third party coming about.

Kevin said...

It would take someone with deep pockets and unique to come along at the right time to get it going - not suggesting he's the answer, but if a true right-winger would have gotten the Republican nomination for President this year, seeing someone in the middle like Mike Bloomberg jump in might have had a puncher's chance, at best...

I know this won't be an overnight change and has to have true grassroots support - which I question whether it exists given the level of voter apathy in play today - but to save our republic, it may be necessary!