Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Petraeus Moving Up

General David Petraeus is moving up and I am not exactly sure if I like it.

For the last year, Gen. Petraeus has led Coalition troops in Iraq. Between his leadership and the increase of on the ground troops, significant progress has been made.

I like what Gen. Petraeus has done there so far and thought he would stick around to keep up the leadership and get us into a position to get the majority of our troops out. (Yes folks, I want out of Iraq. But I do not believe that pulling out at the present time is possible. I do not like war. I wish we were not in one, but we are and we must prevail.)

Now, Gen. Petraeus is moving up from the head of combat forces in Iraq, to lead the U.S. Central Command. A position held from 2000 to 2003 by Gen. Tommy Franks (who also lead the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan). U.S. Central Command, for those of you who don't know, oversees all U.S. operations in the Middle East. He will still, of course, have a hand in the future of Iraq, but not in the same level as before.

I hope this move works well, for both Gen. Petraeus and the U.S.

No comments: