Monday, March 24, 2008

Another One is Called Home

Friday night, on my home from work and the bank, I got a call on my cell phone. It was my folks. They wondered if I planned to stop by the house on my way into town before they had to leave and I headed out for the evening.

I was on my way when they called, only 2 miles from the house. Got home and unpacked the lunch cooler. And Mom informed me that Great Uncle Doc had passed away.

He had been sick and in the hospital last week, and things didn't look great. And finally, Friday he was called home.

Doc was my Grandfather's brother. I didn't know him very well. I had met him on many occasions, but never really sat for any extend duration of time for a conversation.

He was a Navy Veteran of World War II (Grandpa was in the Army), and then became a teacher and coach. A good man, he will be missed.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the trip to Iowa for his funeral. Mom, her sister my Aunt, and Grandma will be going out today for the funeral tomorrow. Dad won't be able to get away from the business to make the trip. Doc is the 3rd of the 5 siblings to pass. One sister passed in 2002 or 2003 (I can't remember exactly), and Grandpa passed in October 2004. The remaining two sisters are both in pretty darn good health and should be kicking for several more years.

So to you Doc, a simple poem, fitting for a Navy Vet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Ship Sails

A ship sails and I stand watching till she fades on the horizon
and someone at my side says
She is gone.

Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all.
She is just as large now as when I last saw her.
Her diminished size and total loss from my sight is in me, not in her.

And just at that moment, when someone at my side says she is gone,
there are others who are watching her coming over their horizon
and other voices take up a glad shout -
There she comes!

That is what dying is.
A horizon and just the limit of our sight.

Lift us up O Lord, that we may see further.

--Bishop Brent

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I raise a glass, to you, Doc. We'll see you soon in paradise.

No comments: