Monday, March 3, 2008

A very cool video for Monday

Confession time. I love music. At my desk all day long there is music playing. The radio plays all night while I sleep. There are currently a tape and a cd in th the player in my truck. Most of the time I have a song in my head.

I also love to play music. In early elementary school, I started to play the piano. I played in a hand bell choir at church for several years. I played the saxophone from 5th grade through my senior year of high school. I started playing guitar around 6th grade and played it for several years. I have started getting back into playing guitar again over the last year, and I also bought a bodhran and am trying to figure it out. I want to learn how to play the bagpipes and uilleann pipes (elbow pipes). I also sign. It took YEARS for me to break my monotone and actually be able to sign in tune. Some might even say I have a very good voice now.

By far, my favorite form of music is Celtic. I have loads of cd's, more songs downloaded, books of music, guitar tab I have pulled off the internet. I also listen to a lot of country and bluegrass.

One of the most beautiful voices in bluegrass is Soprano Allison Krause (an Illinois native, who was kicked out of the IL state fiddle championship when she was around 13 by a dear friend who passed away about a year and a half ago). I imagine that when I arrive at heaven, the angels will sound like Allison Krause.

But when you mix the voice of Allison Krause with the great Celtic music of the Chieftains, you get one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever heard. (and I have hear a LOT of great music, see Celtic Woman, among others)

The song itself is a sad story, but damn. I just keep listening to it.



I would love to hear them do Sally Garden or Four Green Fields

1 comment: