Sunday, May 11, 2008

You have the Right to Free Speech, BUT....

.....only if you agree with me.

I first saw this at Ogre's.

I always thought that in the United States we have the RIGHT to speak freely. But according to a member of the Student Senate at the University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point, You don't.

When a group of Pro-Life students staged an authorized demonstration with University permission, including a field of white crosses for the children who never had the chance to live their life, another student destroyed their field of crosses by pulling them out of the ground and screaming that the pro-life students didn't have the right to challenge abortion.

What a great mentality to have. You have rights, as long as you don't disagree with me. Sounds like communism.

Let's see, where else we can apply this idea. Press. You can only write what I approve. Communism. Religion. You are only allowed to go to a church who preaches my approved message. And the list goes on.

I have no problem with a good debate on issues, but you cannot ignore the counterpoint.

Personally, I take pride in my ability to at least listen to the other side. When I was in college, I wrote a research paper on the right to keep and bear arms. The professor was a pretty strong anti-gun advocate. However, our opposite views did not affect the merits of the work.

No comments: