Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mystery Solved!

Most of you have probably heard of "The Green Fairy." Also known as Absinthe. An alcoholic drink that was banned pretty much everywhere for a large portion of the 20th century. It was also supposed to be part of the "inspiration" of Vincent van Gogh and Pablo Picasso.

Absinthe was purported to be mind altering. Sometimes blamed on the Wormwood used in its making, which is what gives it the green color.

Well, now scientists have studied old bottles of Absinthe and figured out why it was mind altering. Really, it is quite simple. Alcohol. The Absinthe was about 70% alcohol or 140 proof. Whereas, most whiskey is around 40% alcohol, or 80 proof (Jack Daniel's is 86).

Figures.

You know, I have tried Absinthe. Quite frankly, it sucked. Reminded me of Jagermeister, and I don't like Jager. If I want licorice, I will eat licorice, not drink it as alcohol.

No comments: