Friday, April 18, 2008

You have got to be kidding me

Confession. I have a guilty pleasure. Almost religiously I watch WWE rasslin'. Usually on Monday 'cause I forget about it on Friday, and I will miss it for meetings and anything like that, and I don't get the Pay Per Views, but I still enjoy watching. It is as close to a soap opera as I will get.

Now, having said that, even I am really amazed and slightly offended at this.



Yes, that's right sports fans. A member of the United States Congress, who represents North Carolina, including Charlotte, actually took time during a session of the House of Representatives to give a speech on the merits and career of Ric Flair.

I like Ric Flair. At least in these last few years. It used to be I really hated him, but such is the Evolution (pun intended-if you don't get it-don't worry) of the characters played in professional wrestling.

On a different note, was anyone else really distracted by the hand movements of the speaker. Holy jeez. After growing up doing public speaking since I was 4, and watching countless speech contests as my brother made his way to the top to win the FFA National Prepared Public Speaking Contest, I have seen good public speakers, and really poor ones. From those you couldn't understand to those who paced (and really quickly at that) from one side of the room to the other, to those who were at the top of their game and nothing they did was random-every move of the hands, every step, every inflection is used to put you on board with the speakers point of view. But the hand movements of this Congresswoman were terrible. She would be well served to glue her hands to the podium.

Kinda reminds me of a joke. What do you call it when and Italian has one arm shorter than the other?


A speech impediment.
(and it is not just Italians, I am that way, too.)

And finally, that Ric Flair "Woooo!!" at the end of the speech sucked. And I just can't leave it at that. So from The Man himself:



And remember. To be The Man, you've got to beat The Man!

Woooooooooooooo!!


h/t to ThunderPig.

No comments: