Thursday, June 26, 2008

AFFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the SCOTUSblog live blog of the release of the decision in District of Columbia v. Heller.

10:13
Ben Winograd -

The Court has released the opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290), on whether the District’s firearms regulations – which bar the possession of handguns and require shotguns and rifles to be kept disassembled or under trigger lock – violate the Second Amendment. The ruling below, which struck down the provisions in question, is affirmed.

Justice Scalia wrote the opinion. Justice Breyer dissented, joined by Justices Stevens, Souter and Ginsburg. We will provide a link to the decision as soon as it is available.

10:13
Tom Goldstein - Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm.

10:24
Tom Goldstein - Quoting the syllabus: The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditional lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Affirmed. Also known a confirmation of what so many of us have known for so long.

To read the entire opinion, go HERE. That is what I am doing right now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE #1
In the above link, go read the "Opinion of the Court" part (b) on "Keep and Bear Arms." In the Adobe program, it starts on page 10, or if you are looking at the actual page numbers on the sheets, page 7. Scalia uses a prior dissenting opinion of Ginsberg against her argument to not affirm and to support an individual right. Then, he lays into Stevens on trying to justify lots of leftist mislead rhetoric. And it does a nice job of setting up a case for not just private ownership, but carry-either open or concealed. Worth the read. I cheered out loud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this on the news this morning while standing in line at the bank. I did a little arm pump and a few people stared at me. Good times!

Contagion said...

I was in a meeting when a friend texted me the message. I jumped out of my seat and cheered.

Then I had to explain to the liberal anti-gun people in the room that they were all wrong.

Anonymous said...

When i saw this come across the SCOTUS blog i immediately thought of you.

I am not sure this will have the impact people think it will.....i think the later cases further interpreting this decision will be the deciding factor.

-Sari-

Petey said...

Sari-It's good to know that I have made an impression.

And I think you are right as well.

I will be writing a post, probably tomorrow to really put some things in perspective about the real reach of this decision.

But, sometimes all it takes is cresting the hill.