Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Reflections

Today seems like a good day for some reflection on life, since as of today, I can no longer claim to be in my early 20's.

Yep.

26 today.

Holy crap.

Why didn't I get a freaking memo or something.



So I have been doing some reflecting on my life and where it is at. And I thought I would share some observations and thoughts with you.

There is a possibility that this could sound bad, I don't know how it is going to go from here on out. Just know I am not depressed nor contemplating anything stupid.

Work: What work? I am unemployed....For the second time....in 13 months. I graduated from college in 2005 with a 4.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Department Scholar. Top student in my department. But still, I am on the unemployment line. Royally sucks.

The strange thing about it, I have very little motivation to find something new. I had an interview last week, but my heart isn't really in it. I know that I don't want to go back to an office. I am totally burned out on sitting behind a desk all the time. I actually am looking at a possible home based business and then starting to build canoe paddles, guns, knives, clubs, axes and such-splitting my time. Then I could dictate my own schedule and not have to answer to anybody.

Health: The last visit I had to the doctor was about a year and a half ago as part of a wellness screening for work. Including a blood work-up. Basically-healthy as a horse. Cholesterol just about perfect. No high blood pressure. Only one problem....Overweight. And not a little bit. If you've ever heard of Morbidly Obese. That's me. At my worst, I was 434. It has come down some, but I could still damn near cut my weight in half and still be a good sized guy. My brother dropped a bunch of weight over the last few years and I am jealous as hell. If you've never been big, you don't quite understand how the world is for the fat. I try to not let it stop me from doing thing. Actually, I have amazed some friends at the things that I do accomplish being my size, but it still is a hindrance.

Dating: What the hell is that? Last date? Pull out the calendar to count. August 2008. Graduated August 2005. 2003-2004 Junior year. Yep. Last date was January 2004. 4.5 years ago. One date. Before that? No freaking clue. Hell. I'm a virgin. With no intention of changing it any time soon. At one point a couple years ago, I was actually told I needed to lower my standards. No chance in hell.

Life: WTF? I live with my parents. And am rapidly approaching creepy geek. I'm on the computer almost every night. From the Basement of a house (at least not my parents basement), I have played and for a while was damn near addicted to an online game (Call of Duty). The only thing missing is the glasses and stalker complex.


But the good stuff.

Family: I have a great family. Two great parents who have worked their butts off their entire lives to make sure my brother and I had all the opportunities we could want. They also instilled concept of civic duty and being active in community organizations. Lots of activity. I still have two grandmothers living and both are here it town. Their health is not the greatest, but they are still around. My brother has a wonderful wife and they welcomed their first child in April. The nephew is such a cute kid, I just wish I could go see him more often, but we always seem to have schedule problems, and the three hour drive is not condusive to quick trips for an evening or something. I have one aunt getting married for the first time next June. The other aunt is married to a really great uncle. Their three kids are around the same age as my brother and I. They are doing great, too. One is a private school teacher in D.C. and is trying to finish up her Masters Degree. Her twin sister is working in South America. And the brother is a Doctor of Physical Therapy.

Friends: One of the biggest blessing in my life is my friends. The Motley Crew. Dog, Squatchy, Evil People Inc., Lunchbox, SeanX, and me. 6 friends from High School. We've done some crazy shit. The re-enacting friends. Lots of them. Started out as folks I would only see at events, but now they are all good friends who I communicate with regularly, visit, shoot the shit. Like the old saying, "Friends are the Family you choose."






I guess life ain't too bad, even when your lost.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to getting past that annoying mid20's hump! May your kludge be slightly less kludgey, your beer be extra tasty with even more malty, hopped goodness, your guns never miss, and may the truck that is your life never rust!

Anonymous said...

I know this part of the mind well. It's why I write music. You're one of the best men I know, don't ever forget that.
Call of Duty Rocks!lol!
Dragonfly

Anonymous said...

Red says:
Happy Birthday Petey!! Maybe at Dad Joe's we can get Wil to do his marilyn monroe impression & sing happy birthday to you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dude. Wait until your post says "late 30's".

Wes said...

Happy (belated) birthday Petey. You're one hell of a guy & I'm happy to call you my friend. :-)

BTW Red: I don't have a melon-baller big enough to scoop *that* image from my brain.. :-D